Saturday, March 12, 2011

Lechon Manok - Lemongrass Rotisserie Chicken (page 353)

We picked this recipe in honor of Stephanie who is in the Philippines and Lydia who is ... well just check out the sign pictured on page 357 where Raichlen declares Lydia to be "The Barbecue Queen of the Philippines!"  And I thought she was just the tattooed lady.

I made the marinade for this tonight and I'll cook the chicken tomorrow.  Anyone ever use annatto seeds or calamansis?

Em is in New England this weekend with Ellie and Steve and families.  Charlie had a couple of friends over for dinner tonight. We had burgers, grilled asparagus and grilled peaches with ice cream and raspberry sauce which is about as easy as it gets.  One of Charlie's friends said "Mr. Koczela, I hate to admit it but I really like this asparagus."

The chicken was fantastic - a definite must try.  Cook it for longer than the book says.  I had a fairly large roaster and it took 1.5 hours on the rotisserie.  Don't forget the sauces and don't skip the annatto seed oil for basting.  In addition to the two sauces recommended in the book, we had peanut sauce which came in a bottle from Whole Foods.  I could not find calamansis so we used limes which worked great.  I used red jalapenos for the chili peppers.  I took out the seeds and white membrane so that they were not quite as hot as normal.  The flavor was good with the chicken. 

5 comments:

  1. What is your secret for grilled asparagus? Do you use a separate grate, or just straight on the grill? Direct? Indirect? I have tried it a few different ways with widely varied success.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. direct on the grill top. Marinade in olive oil, salt and pepper and you can use a little garlic too if you want or rosemary. put all of the spears on direct heat and leave them for a couple of minutes and then start stirring them around so they don't char. I then spend some time picking them up and flipping over to make sure they are cooked on both sides. I then move them to the cool side of the grill and leave them there while meat is cooking. You have to fiddle with theis a few times to get it right. Undercooked is better than overcooked in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the undercooked preference. The worst was when I tried blanching ahead of time and searing to finish. They came out like wet noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, the thinnest asparagus possible is best. Do NOT overcook. If you grill the asp before you do any meat or other dishes, it will get "soggy" sitting, so recommend, if possible doing it last and serving right off of the grill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the suggestions! Worked great!

    ReplyDelete