Sunday, February 20, 2011

Real Jamaican Jerk Pork (page 199)

The recipe calls for butterflying the pork shoulder which the butcher did for me in about 5 minutes.  It would have taken me an hour.  Using butterflied rather than bone in shortened the cook time and gave the meat even more flavor.

Here is a picture of the marinating meat...  Yumm!  Mouth watering huh?




I had to soak my hands in milk and then in vodka after cutting up 1/2 pound of habaneros for this recipe.  They were still burning when I went to bed at midnight - 7 hours after I made the marinade.  So, next time, I will use gloves.  It is just hard for me to believe that those little orange chiles can cause that kind of reaction.  Anyway, the meat was delicious.  For my taste, I recommend you add extra cinnamon and a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar to the marinade.  After the pork is cooked, cut it up into a vinegar sauce before serving.  I just used 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar, two tablespoons of brown sugar and a tablespoon of kosher salt but I think even a vinegar based BBQ sauce might be good.

We served it with grilled asparagus and grilled french bread.  I think it would also be good with corn bread (see Wisconsin Grill'n for recipe).  By the way, Sendiks did not have allspice berries.  I'll try Whole Foods next time.

Jack and Andrea came over for dinner.  Plat Plat seems quite content to stay inside and enjoy the BBQ for now.  I hope she likes habaneros! 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I removed Uncle Jack's comment only because i don't want to start a political discussion on this blog. If you want to respond, have at it in email. I started it of course. I have changed my blog entry too. Peace

    ReplyDelete