Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Picanha: Spit-Roasted Rump Steak without Country Salsa (page 153)

This was good but I over cooked the top sirloin.  Our crowd here tends to favor meat that is on the well done side of the scale so I was determined not to under cook it and ... well it was not rare that's for sure.  It was tasty though.  The recipe calls for a thick layer of fat on the top sirloin so I had to ask the guy at Sendiks if he had any with extra fat on it.  He gave me The Look (which I am used to by this time) and went in the back and got me the untrimmed sirloin.  "Perfect!" I said so he cut me off a couple of pounds with eyebrows raised and wrapped it up.  I would say that I did not have it as neatly on the spit as the picture shows on page 154 but it cooked through and was tasty so I'm not sure it matters other than for presentation points.  The Farofa did not come out how I thought it would.  I could not find cassava flour so we used bread crumbs.  In the end it was kind of like a pile of bread crumbs with a little bacon flavor.  If anyone has successfully made Farofa, I'd like to hear how you did it.  Isn't it supposed to be kind of like flat bread of some kind?  If it is really just flavored bread crumbs I think I will skip it next time.  I did not make the Country Salsa which was a mistake.  I will do that next time because I think we needed something like that to round out the meal.  Em made some egg plant dip with pita bread but we could have used the salsa.

We are dealing with a foot of snow tonight.  I am wimping out so no grilling.  Tomorrow is supposed to be 50 mph winds and below zero temps so I might not grill tomorrow either.  TWO DAYS IN A ROW?  I am clearly losing my drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment